Friday 29 May 2009

Fashion: An Exclusive Interview With Uber Model -Belinda Baidoo.




“In 2005, I organized a fashion show in New York to raise money for the orphanage in Ghana. This is something that I will like to do every year in Ghana or when I'm out of the country. But I can not do it alone I need help from my people to do this. We need to learn to work together and do something good to help your own" country.” Belinda Baidoo


“The first day I saw my face at Time Square. It was a job I did for Motorola, -and it was up there for almost two years.” Belinda Baidoo








I remember the first time I saw, Belinda Baidoo -her beauty, the colour of her skin and of course that beautiful Akan mark, -and I couldn't believe it. I screamed with joy and called all my Ghanaian sisters -because (I am sure you'll agree with me) -we really didn't have any representation before Belinda Baidoo. I stumbled across our Belinda on, 'Nevs Model Agency' website -whilst researching (some much needed information) for my own model agency (othermodels). Unfortunately, -even though, I had some success with othermodels, -I didn't have the resources to truly take on the mainstream model agencies -and things fell apart. But that experience, and my time at various magazines -have taught me that the world of modelling (the whole fashion Industry) is not easy, -that's why I respect and admire Belinda and other models of colour. I am very excited about this tête tête with the gorgeous Belinda Baidoo. Enjoy.................x

GR: Hello Belinda, how are you?
BB: I'm fine missy, how are you?

GR: Wonderful thanks. It's so lovely to finally catch up with you Belinda. What are you up to?
BB: Work, work, work. I have been in Ghana for the past four months to open a model agency called b2models. And to spend some time with my family as well; [that's very important for me] because I don't get to see them very often. I start my day; by having a cup of tea in the morning, watch the news, - do some yoga, -then go to the office.

GR: I visited your website: www.belindabaidoo.com and was shocked to see -not you, but Kenya from ANT -there. Of course, on closer inspection -it became clear that the beautiful photograph is part of your portfolio. When did you became a photographer -and does it mean that you have now retried from modelling?
BB: No I have not retried from modelling. I still work as a model from Monday to Friday. Living in New York, -you don't do only one thing. Kenya is a friend of mine. She did me a favour by letting me take some pictures of her. I like taking pictures. I always have my camera on me, - you never know what you may come across.

GR: Wow..you are a busy women. What do you do on your days off?
BB: I go to the gym; clean my apartment, go to the farmer's market, -spend some time with friends, come home, -and read.

GR: How did you get started in modelling -and do you still get a buzz from it?
BB: I won a competition here in Ghana called TOP MODEL OF AFRIQUE in 1998. That's how I got into the modelling world, -and it changed my life.

GR: What has been your most memorable modelling experience thus far?
BB: The first day I saw my face at Time Square. It was a job I did for Motorola, -and it was up there for almost two years.

GR: Wow Time Square, that's amazing. Do you hang out with other models -if so, which ones and which of your fellow models do you admire -the most?
BB: Yes I do hang out models. Most of my friends are models from all over the world. I admire Grace jones.

GR: I love your style -how would you describe your look?
BB: You know, I live at east village in New York, - and that area is the coolest place to live in New York City. So I think the area's got a lot to do with the way I dress or look. I try to be very simple, easy, funky and cool at the same time.

GR: Who are your favourite designers and what item can you not live without?
BB: Armani, Miguel Adrover, Jenny Packman, Jeremy Scott, Proenza Schouler, Tracy Reese, Martin Margiela, Miu Miu, Rick Owens, Kofi Ashan, Chanel and Marc Jacobs.

GR: You are beautiful, with flawless skin -what is your secret?
BB: I use all natural things, -from the food I eat, - to the products that I use for my face and body.I use olive oil a lot for my hair, body and face. The one thing I can not live with out -is my Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Swivel Stick, -I always have that in my make-up bag. I also use Bobbi Brown and Chanel make-up

GR: Who does your hair, your nails and do you go to the gym?
BB: Yes I go to the gym three to four time a week. My hair is done by my friends [for me most of the time] when am not working. Because when I'm on a shoot working, - there's always a different hair and make-up person.

GR: On to more serious stuff, -what are your hopes and dreams for Ghana?
BB: My hope for Ghana, - is for us to be on an international level when it come to modelling. Because for a long time, I was the only Ghanaian model working internationally and doing all of the big shows. I use to tell people that I'm Ghanaian when they ask me where I'm from, -and they didn't believe me. They are not use to seeing models from Ghana so that's one of the reasons that I came back to Ghana to open a model agency call b2models.com.

GR: Can you tell us about your Charity?
BB: In 2005, I organized a fashion show in New York to raise money for the orphanage in Ghana. This is something that I will like to do every year in Ghana or when I'm out of the country. But I can not do it alone I need help from my people to do this. We need to learn to work together and do something good to help your own country.

GR: Ghana Rising agrees with Belinda and hopes that we can all work together -to create a better Ghana. Thank you gorgeous. God Bless all your dreams Belinda...............
BB:Thank you.

Belinda's new Model Agency can be viewed at: www.b2models.com
The End..........................xx

1 comment:

  1. I like black beauty in fashion i love fashion and I have crazy about fashion and long boots
    in long boots i like Doc Martens Boots

    ReplyDelete