Saturday 4 February 2012

One To Watch: Film Director Akosua Adoma Owusu

Me Broni Ba (My White Baby)



Me Broni Ba (My White Baby) from obibini pictures on Vimeo.


Synopsis
Me Broni Ba (My White Baby) is a lyrical portrait of hair salons in Kumasi, Ghana. The tangled legacy of European colonialism in Africa is evoked through images of women practicing hair braiding on discarded white baby dolls from the West. The film unfolds through a series of vignettes, set against a child's story of migrating from Ghana to the United States. The film uncovers the meaning behind the Akan term of endearment, me broni ba, which means "my white baby."

Me Broni Ba (My White Baby) is available for Non-theatrical and Educational purposes through The Cinema Guild.

The Cinema Guild,
115 West 30th Street, Suite 800
New York, NY 10001
Tel. 212 685 6242
Fax. 212 685 4717

http://cinemaguild.com/catalog/index.html?http%3A//cinemaguild.com/mm5/merchant.mvc%3FScreen%3DPROD%26Store_Code%3DTCGS%26Product_Code%3D2358

http://www.mebroniba.com/


Ajube Kete


Ajube Kete from obibini pictures on Vimeo.


Synopsis
Ajube Kete depicts a semi-factual account of a day in the life of a house girl set in the village of Kumasi, Ghana. Part documentary, part fiction, the story follows Ajube Kete as she works on chores throughout the day. The girl attempts to complete her work amidst ridicule by older voices heard off-screen. The film is a re-staged scenario based on a true event performed by my young cousin, Ajube Kete. Ajube Kete was my first short film

Paulina Opoku-Gyimah says: There's an elegance about Akosua Adoma Owusu’s Ajube Kete, the type of beauty I only find in films from Burkina Faso. You get a real sense of Ajube’s life and an insight into some of Ghana’s inner workings -be it good or bad. Its uber fresh -and I want more....... I want to watch block busting movies by Akosua Adoma Owusu -and I get the feeling that its going to happen soon -and I can’t wait. To view more of Akosua Adoma Owusu’s uber must-watch films visit: http://www.akosuaadoma.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment